24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Children are special, with their own set of emotional and healthcare needs, and that’s why St. Tammany Parish Hospital continues to evolve to provide an entire unit dedicated to caring for infants, children and young adults up to 18 years of age.
We understand a hospital stay can be scary for children, so we have created a pediatric unit that is cheerful and kid-friendly while providing a comforting, healing atmosphere for the whole family. Even our meal service is kid-friendly. You will find brightly colored artwork, family-friendly décor and a staff that is specially trained to care for children.
Our approach is based on the concept of family-centered care with the belief that the family is a child's primary source of strength and support. We encourage you to participate in your child's care and welcome your questions and suggestions.
The Pediatric unit at St. Tammany Parish Hospital is a controlled access unit on the third floor of the main hospital with 10 private rooms that are equipped with central monitoring equipment. The unit also has a separate procedure room to provide our patients a secure, non-threatening environment.
The pediatric unit has a playroom with age-appropriate toys, books, videos and activities for children, as well as a family room. Each room features a built-in daybed for family, wireless Internet, a DVD player and plentiful storage.
Our pediatric team, comprised of an advanced nurse practitioner and registered nurses, is focused on providing patients and families with outstanding, individualized care. Our nurses are trained to understand how to ease a child’s fears by explaining procedures in a simple way and by giving a hug or caring hand to hold.
Children in our Pediatric unit receive around-the-clock care from our staff, which includes full-time hospitalists who are board-certified in pediatrics to manage your child’s care 24 hours a day. They work in partnership with your pediatrician and you to determine the best course of treatment for your child and will provide a comprehensive follow up plan for his/her care upon discharge.
Hospitalists quickly identify any changes in their patient’s condition and make timely adjustments to their treatment plan and arrange for pediatric specialists and support services as needed.
While our hospitalists oversee day-to-day inpatient care, they are supported by a comprehensive pediatric team with extensive experience and training in pediatric aspects of their field. Pediatric team members include:
- Pediatric hospitalists
- Pediatric subspecialty physicians
- Pediatric registered nurses
- Respiratory, speech, physical and occupational therapists
- Social workers
- Case managers
- Pastoral care professionals
Because of our experience in caring for sick children, we can anticipate needs and questions; however, we invite you to ask us anything at any time.
STPH offers a variety of classes to help you and child grow and connect. Classes include:
Click here for a complete list of our classes and programs.
- Play and Learn: Parents and their children are invited to play and learn together through music and movement, arts and crafts, and storytime.
- Cuddle Buddies: This monthly group is a learning and support opportunity for parents and a social playtime for babies. Bring a friend and join us for songs, stories, and playtime.
- StoryTeach: Stories are great ways to teach your children about feelings, values and social skills.
- Pediatric First-Aid: Do you know what to do if your child is injured? This certified course will teach parents life-saving techniques.
- Infant/Child CPR: Learn the skills needed for choking and breathing emergencies. This is not a CPR certified class.
- 1,2,3,4 Parents: Learn positive discipline skills and the social/behavioral stages as children progress through their first four years.
- Boot Camp for New Dads: This class is for new dads and is taught by veteran dads who orient rookies on the realities of fatherhood, including caring for baby and mom, and learning what comes with new fatherhood.
Click on any of the following organizations for more pediatric care support: