To provide support for new graduate nurses by offering the opportunity to build a solid professional foundation through mentoring in the areas of skills development, clinical decision making and teamwork.
To provide the new RN graduates the necessary tools and qualities needed to administer excellence in direct patient care through nurturing, coaching, and collaboration.
St. Tammany Parish Hospital's RN Residency Program is a comprehensive 14-week “bridging the gap” program designed to assist new nursing professionals develop the skills required to deliver and maintain high-quality patient care.
The program will provide an introduction to the nursing philosophy, professional practice model and policies and procedures at STPH through an integrated class and clinical training setting while working with dedicated preceptors.
It is the hospital's belief that new nurses come from a variety of experiences, skills, education and backgrounds. Resident RNs are adult learners and therefore are active participants in their learning and partners in the process. It is the expectation that the resident RN will be accountable to identify learning needs and seek out guidance to meet those needs.
Program goals include:
- Assist the resident RN in making a smooth transition into nursing practice
- Allow the resident RN time to gradually assume the duties and responsibilities of a registered nurse caring for a variety of patients
- Familiarize the resident RN with STPH policies and procedures
- Offer the resident RN the opportunity to experience didactic and practical experiences that cover various topics related to his/her role as a provider of nursing care
- Promote critical thinking in the resident RN
- Grow the next generation of nurses in our community hospital
- Have a baccalaureate pipeline of well-educated RNs to fill vacancies
Benner's Stages of Clinical Competence - The Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition:
The Dreyfus model posits that in the acquisition and development of a skill, a student passes through five levels of proficiency: novice, advanced beginner, competent, proficient and expert. These different levels reflect changes in three general aspects of skilled performance:
- Movement from reliance on abstract principles to the use of past concrete experience as paradigms.
- A change in the learner's perception of the demand situation, in which the situation is seen less and less as a compilation of equally relevant bits, and more and more as a complete whole in which only certain parts are relevant.
- Passage from detached observation to involved performer. The performer no longer stands outside the situation but is now engaged in the situation.
Kramer as the process of "reality shock"
She describes this phenomenon as, "... the reactions of new workers when they find themselves in a work situation for which they have spent several years preparing and for which they thought they were going to be prepared, and then suddenly find they are not." (1974, VII-VII)
ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCESS
The next RN Residency Program will be February 3, 2020 - May 9, 2020. The recruiting process has begun and we are accepting applications for the February 2020 Residency Class! We are accepting applications now through September 2019.... Apply today!
Any registered nurse with less than six months experience in an acute care facility is eligible to apply. Applicants also must have graduated from an approved RN program (BSN is preferred), completed the NCLEX-RN exam and possess a current RN license from the State of Louisiana before the start of the program.
Candidates must provide the following documents:
- Employment application
- Resume, including education history, employment history, special skills/credentials
- Recommendation letter from a clinical nursing instructor (required after interview process)
Candidates will be interviewed by the Medical/Surgical Nurse Managers. RNs hired for this program will be full-time with benefits.
For more information, contact Jenn Randazzo, Senior Talent Sourcing Specialist, at 985-898-4540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.