24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Human breast milk is the best source of nutrition for your baby because it is made specifically for your baby. It contains all of the right amounts of carbohydrates, protein, fats, digestive enzymes, minerals, vitamins, hormones and antibodies your baby needs to promote optimal growth and fight infections.
St Tammany Parish Hospital encourages and promotes breastfeeding and provides the help and support you need to have the best possible breastfeeding experience. Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which is valued worldwide as the most trusted source for certifying practitioners in lactation and breastfeeding care.
STPH also provides the following services:
- Outpatient appointments with a lactation consultant
- A 24-hour non-emergent breastfeeding help number at (985) 898-4446 or (985) 898-4536
- A follow-up call by one of our lactation consultants once you and your baby have returned home
- Rental of hospital-grade double electric breast pumps
St. Tammany Parish Hospital offers two classes to help you with your breastfeeding effort:
- Join our certified lactation consultant for questions and answers at our breastfeeding support group at the St. Tammany Parish Hospital Parenting Center. New and expecting mothers are encouraged to attend this free program that meets every month. For class times, please check out our calendar by clicking here. To register or for more information, please call (985) 898-4435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An art of breastfeeding class explains the benefits of breastfeeding as well as common concerns of the early breastfeeding period. Parents will learn how to establish a breastfeeding routine that will enable them to use their breastfeeding skills with confidence, facilitating a positive and successful breastfeeding experience. This is a series of two free classes on Monday nights, and your support person is encouraged to attend. For dates and times, please call the STPH Education Development and Training Department at (985) 898-4083 or email email@example.com.
St. Tammany Parish Hospital is a GIFT (Guided Infant Feeding Techniques) certified hospital. GIFT is a certification program for Louisiana hospitals and birthing facilities that is based on the best practice model for infant feeding and mother-baby bonding.
Mothers are given the gift of breast milk, and with knowledge and support, they can successfully breastfeed their newborns.
Click on any of the following organizations for more support to create the perfect breastfeeding experience: