Outpatient Palliative Care Clinic
1010 South Polk St., Ste. 1
Covington, LA 70433
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday | 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
What is palliative care?
Palliative care is a medical specialty devoted to the improvement of quality of life for people with serious, life-limiting conditions such as chronic heart failure, dementia, cancer, lung disease, and many others. This is done by addressing the many stressors that can accompany such illness, such as pain, fatigue, fear of the unknown, losing independence, or feeling overwhelmed or lost in the medical system.
Click here for an in depth video about palliative care.
How is palliative care different from hospice?
Unlike hospice care, palliative care may be provided alongside aggressive therapies such as hospitalization, surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.
Hospice care is provided for people once aggressive treatments are no longer beneficial, no longer wanted, or the patient is closer to the end of life.
What services are available at St. Tammany?
There are two palliative care services available at St. Tammany. There is an inpatient consultation service and an outpatient clinic. Both require a physician order for referral. A referral may be ordered to:
- Manage troubling symptoms
- Improve understanding of the disease process and prognosis
- Enhance family understanding of the illness, treatments and options.
- Enhance communication between physicians and patient to ensure all are working toward the same goals. This often involves direct communication with their other doctors, or referral for other services, such as surgery, palliative radiation or hospice if desired.
- Make sure patients’ wishes are known regarding treatments, hospitalization, etc. Assist with advance care planning, such as medical power of attorney or a living will.
How do I connect with palliative care?
If you are in the hospital and feel a consultation with palliative care would be of benefit, ask your doctor for a consult. If you are not in the hospital but would qualify, discuss it with your treating doctor, who can refer your.
Click here to watch a video about palliative care and benefits it offers.