St. Tammany Parish Hospital has been approved as a Community Hospital Cancer Program through the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer since 1995. Our staff works closely with other medical centers and local doctors to promote a multidisciplinary cancer treatment delivery system for patients and families.
The Commission on Cancer sets the standards for cancer programs and only approves those facilities that have voluntarily committed to provide the best in diagnosis and treatment to their patients and the community. Components required for an approved status include:
- A multidisciplinary Cancer Committee composed of physicians and other health professionals involved in the care of cancer patients and their caregivers
- Monthly Cancer Conferences and professional education
- Quality Improvement Processes
- A Cancer Registry
- Public education and outreach
Healthcare organizations must undergo a rigorous evaluation process and performance review every three years, in order to maintain their status as an approved cancer center. Commission on Cancer approved programs represent about 20% of all acute care hospitals, but they diagnose and treat 85% of all cancer patients in the country.
By setting such rigorous standards, the Commission on Cancer ensures that patients receiving treatment from approved programs have access to
- Quality care close to home
- Comprehensive care offering a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multi-specialty, team approach to coordinate the best treatment options available to cancer patients
- Access to cancer-related information, education, and support
- A cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results, and offers lifelong patient follow-up
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options
The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer can provide additional information on the benefits of having treatment at an approved cancer program.
To learn more about the scope and number of cancer services and specialists available at St. Tammany Parish Hospital, visit marybird.org/STPH.
For more information, contact the Cancer Resource Nurse at 985-898-4581 or e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.