1202 S. Tyler Street Covington LA 70433
24 hours /7 days
The St. Tammany Parish Hospital Cardiology Department provides patients with cardiac-related diagnostic procedures. The Cardiology Department is staffed with professional and specially trained EKG technicians, cardiac sonographers and registered nurses. The procedures performed in Cardiology are directed and interpreted by the most qualified and professional Cardiologists in their field.These procedures include:
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) — Measures the electrical activity of the heart, while recording the heart rate and rhythm. An EKG can denote any damage to the heart muscle and takes about 10 minutes to complete; it is a painless procedure.
- Echocardiography (ECHO) — Uses sound waves to detect heart structures and blood flow throughout the heart chambers. An ECHO takes about 20 minutes to complete, and is painless as well.
- Holter Monitor — is a portable EKG that a patient wears for 24 or 48 hours, during which he/she is asked to keep a log book of symptoms throughout that period.
- Stress Test – procedure used to detect and assess the patient for Coronary Artery Disease. The Cardiology department offers several different options for Stress Testing:
Treadmill Stress Test
Pharmacological Stress Test
Stress Echo Procedure
Dobutamine Stress Echo Procedure
- Tilt Table – Tilt table testing is used to evaluate how the body regulates blood pressure in response to some very simple stresses. Patients that have symptoms such as severe lightheadedness or dizziness that are suggestive of a sudden drop in blood pressure may benefit from the evaluation of blood pressure regulation with a Tilt Table Test.