24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Human breast milk is the best source of nutrition for your baby because it is made specifically for your baby. It contains all of the right amounts of carbohydrates, protein, fats, digestive enzymes, minerals, vitamins, hormones and antibodies your baby needs to promote optimal growth and fight infections.
For optimal nutrition for your infant, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to provide optimal nutrition and health protection, and breastfeeding with complementary foods from six months to one year.
In addition to providing the best nutrition, breastfeeding decreases your baby's risk of ear infections, respiratory illnesses, sudden infant death syndrome, obesity and hypertension. Breastfeeding also provides mom with benefits such as aids weight loss after delivery and reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
St Tammany Parish Hospital encourages and promotes exclusive breastfeeding and provides the help and support you need to have the best possible breastfeeding experience. Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which is valued worldwide as the most trusted source for certifying practitioners in lactation and breastfeeding care.
STPH also provides the following services:
- Outpatient appointments with a lactation consultant
- A 24-hour non-emergent breastfeeding help number at (985) 898-4446
- A follow-up call by one of our lactation consultants once you and your baby have returned home
- Rental of hospital-grade double electric breast pumps
EDUCATION and SUPPORT
Breastfeeding with La Leche League
First Friday of each month | 10 to 11 a.m. | Parenting Center
- This program is for breastfeeding moms or expectant mothers who want to learn about breastfeeding. The primary goal of La Leche League is mother to mother support. Meetings are held the first Friday of each month from 10- 11 a.m. at the Parenting Center and is free to attend.
Art of Breastfeeding Class
Click here for calendar of class times