24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Human breast milk is the best source of nutrition for your baby because it is made specifically for your baby. It contains all of the right amounts of carbohydrates, protein, fats, digestive enzymes, minerals, vitamins, hormones and antibodies your baby needs to promote optimal growth and fight infections.
For optimal nutrition for your infant, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to provide optimal nutrition and health protection, and breastfeeding with complementary foods from six months to one year.
In addition to providing the best nutrition, breastfeeding decreases your baby's risk of ear infections, respiratory illnesses, sudden infant death syndrome, obesity and hypertension. Breastfeeding also provides mom with benefits such as aids weight loss after delivery and reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
While breastfeeding isn't always possible for every mother and baby, the potential benefits make it worth a discussion with your physician. Breast feeding does not come easy and the right support can make all the difference in your success.
St Tammany Parish Hospital encourages and promotes breastfeeding and provides the help and support you need to have the best possible breastfeeding experience. Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which is valued worldwide as the most trusted source for certifying practitioners in lactation and breastfeeding care.
STPH also provides the following services:
- Outpatient appointments with a lactation consultant
- A 24-hour non-emergent breastfeeding help number at (985) 898-4446 or (985) 898-4536
- A follow-up call by one of our lactation consultants once you and your baby have returned home
- Rental of hospital-grade double electric breast pumps
Click here for breastfeeding tips and to hear what STPH offers
EDUCATION and SUPPORT
Warm-line - 985-871-6022
- Do you have questions about breastfeeding? Call the STPH warm-line to speak with a certified lactation counselor the same day. This is a free service open to the public, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Each Friday from 1 - 2 p.m., the STPH Community Wellness Center offers a drop-in clinic for any mother that has questions about breastfeeding. Certified lactation counselors are available during this time to answers questions or assist with breastfeeding issues. For more information, call 985-871-6038.
Breastfeeding Support Group
First Thursday each month | noon to 1 p.m. | Parenting Center
- Join our certified lactation consultant for questions and answers at our breastfeeding support group at the St. Tammany Parish Hospital Parenting Center. New and expecting mothers are encouraged to attend this free program that meets every month. For class times, please check out our calendar by clicking here. To register or for more information, please call (985) 898-4435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art of Breastfeeding Class
Click here for calendar of class times