24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Human breast milk is the best source of nutrition for your baby because it is made specifically for your baby. It contains all of the right amounts of carbohydrates, protein, fats, digestive enzymes, minerals, vitamins, hormones and antibodies your baby needs to promote optimal growth and fight infections.
For optimal nutrition for your infant, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to provide optimal nutrition and health protection, and breastfeeding with complementary foods from six months to one year.
In addition to providing the best nutrition, breastfeeding decreases your baby's risk of ear infections, respiratory illnesses, sudden infant death syndrome, obesity and hypertension. Breastfeeding also provides mom with benefits such as aids weight loss after delivery and reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
St Tammany Parish Hospital encourages and promotes breastfeeding and provides the help and support you need to have the best possible breastfeeding experience. Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which is valued worldwide as the most trusted source for certifying practitioners in lactation and breastfeeding care.
STPH also provides the following services:
- Outpatient appointments with a lactation consultant
- A 24-hour non-emergent breastfeeding help number at (985) 898-4446
- A follow-up call by one of our lactation consultants once you and your baby have returned home
- Rental of hospital-grade double electric breast pumps
EDUCATION and SUPPORT
Breastfeeding Support Group
First Thursday each month | noon to 1 p.m. | Parenting Center
- Join our certified lactation consultant for questions and answers at our breastfeeding support group at the St. Tammany Parish Hospital Parenting Center. New and expecting mothers are encouraged to attend this free program that meets every month. For class times, please check out our calendar by clicking here. To register or for more information, please call (985) 898-4435 or email email@example.com.
Art of Breastfeeding Class
Click here for calendar of class times